• By Miguel Maravilla

Francisco Vargas Returns Thursday at Fantasy

Former WBC super featherweight champion Francisco "El Bandido" Vargas (24-1-2, 17 KOs) of Mexico City returns to the ring as he faces "Lightning" Rod Salka (24-4, 4 KOs) this Thursday April 12th headlining the Golden Boy Boxing on ESPN at Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California. We caught up with "El Bandido" as he talked about his preparation and upcoming fight.

"I'm glad to be back in the ring. I know that this will be a good fight and I'm ready. I plan on once again to give a good fight," Francisco Vargas told Southern California Boxing.com "I'm fighting an experienced fighter and he will come well prepared,"

Vargas held camp in Indio, California for the second time with trainer Joel Diaz as the this will be their second fight together.

"We had a great camp with Joel," Vargas on camp. "It was a hard and strong camp. Joel has been teaching me a lot. I am still learning with him," Vargas added.

Coming off a stoppage over Stephen Smith in his last fight this past December, Vargas split Smith's ear after landing numerous hooks to the head forcing the referee and doctor to stop the fight. This was Vargas's first fight since suffering his only loss and relinquishing his WBC title to Miguel Berchelt.

"It was a tough fight. Smith is a tough fighter, he was holding but I would hit him on the side of the head. After a few rounds his ear was swelling and eventually it popped," Vargas on his last fight. "That was my first fight back since the layoff," Vargas added.

His opponent, Rod Salka is coming into this fight winning his last five fights since suffering a brutal knockout at the hands of former world champion Danny Garcia.

"He has good technique and quickness," Vargas on his opponent. "I feel he took the opportunity and was at a huge disadvantage in that fight. He went up in weight and it did not go well," Vargas explained.

With a win here expect Vargas and his team to pursue a rematch with WBC super featherweight champion as he suffered his only loss via stoppage to Berchelt last year to begin 2017. Vargas has expressed his desire for the rematch but remains focused on Salka.

"My focus is this fight but if things go well, I want that rematch with Berchelt. I did give him the opportunity to fight me so hopefully he gives me the rematch," Vargas said.

For now Vargas will have to settle for Salka.

"I will leave it all in the ring to come out with the victory," Vargas concluded.

Follow Miguel on Twitter @MigMaravilla

© 2020 Southern California Boxing.com is created & owned by Miguel Maravilla LLC ALL Rights Reserved. The information or content on this site cannot be used unless consented.