top of page
  • Miguel Maravilla

Ruiz Decisions Ortiz

Photos from Stephanie Trapp/TGB Promotions

Former heavyweight world champion Andy Ruiz Jr. (34-2, 22 KO’s) of Imperial Valley, California and Cuba’s Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (33-2, 28 KO’s) clashed Sunday night in a WBC title eliminator match at the Crypto Arena in Los Angeles headlining the FOX Sports Pay Per View. Former heavyweight world champion Andy Ruiz Jr. (35-2, 22 KO’s) of Imperial Valley, California won a hard-fought unanimous decision over Cuba’s Luis “King Kong” Ortiz (33-3, 28 KO’s) Sunday night in a WBC title eliminator match at the Crypto Arena in Los Angeles headlining the FOX Sports Pay Per View.

It was Ruiz that started off stalking as the southpaw Ortiz pumped the jab, later in the round Ortiz mixed in a combination that snapped Ruiz’s head. Returning the favor in round two, Ruiz drilled Ortiz with a short right hand, sending him to the canvas as he was up and continued to fight and dropped him a second time as Ortiz finished the round. A body shot in the third by Ruiz staggered Ortiz, Ruiz paced himself controlling the round. Sticking and trading jabs in the fourth, Ortiz kept Ruiz at a distance as Ruiz attacked and attempted to connect the chopping right.

Ruiz stayed close to Ortiz in the fifth as the Cuban continued to box and jab away. Looking to land the right hand, Ruiz attempted the neutralize Ortiz in the sixth as King Kong continued to box and jab. The pace in round seven favored Ortiz as the jab was on point, Ruiz however connected with a huge right hand that sent Ortiz to the canvas a third time. Continuing to pump the jab, Ortiz utilized the stick as he had a good eighth round keeping Ruiz away and limiting him.

The former world champion appeared to slow his pace in the ninth as he stalked, Ortiz connected with a solid straight left snapping Ruiz’s head. Late in the fight in the tenth, Ortiz kept working off the jab neutralizing Ruiz and limiting his work output. Heading to the championship rounds, the fight appeared to be close as Ortiz dictated at his pace, later in the eleventh round Ruiz connected with a solid right hand that caused Ortiz’s left eye to swell up. With the fight hanging close, Ortiz stalked and was busy as the two finished trading in the center.

After 12 rounds the judges scored the bout 114-111, 114-111, and 113-112 in favor of Ruiz.

WBC #2 lightweight Isaac “Pitbull” Cruz (24-2-1, 17KO) was provided a sacrificial lamb in light punching WBC #4 super featherweight Eduardo Ramirez (27-3-3, 12KO) and did not disappoint with a second round destruction of Ramirez in a WBC lightweight title eliminator. Ramirez was on his bike in the opening round with Cruz in hot pursuit. In the second round, it wasn’t long before Cruz landed a crunching lead left hook to drop Ramirez hard to the canvas. The referee took a long hard look at Ramirez before allowing him to continue. Moments later, Cruz landed an even more punishing left hook, right cross, left hook combo to drop Ramirez again with the referee immediately waving off the fight without a count. Time if the stoppage was 2:27 of the second round.


"We want the rematch with Gervonta Davis. That's what these fans want. I promised the knockout tonight and we got it done.

"I was ready to win at all costs, for my family and what better way to win than here in front of all the great fans in Los Angeles.

"I'm very thankful to everyone who came out to support me. I am ready to give my all each and every time thanks to that fantastic support.

"I stuck to my game plan. This was what we had crafted throughout training camp. The crowd just motivated me even more to go out there and finish him off like I was able to do."

Four time, three weight division, former world champ, Abner Mares (31-3-2, 15KO) fought to a majority draw with tough as nails Miguel Flores (25-5, 12KO) in a 10 round lightweight bout. It was the first appearance in the ring fir Mares in 51 months and he got off to a nice start landing crisp counter punches over the aggressive Flores. By the middle rounds, however, Mares started fading with Flores feeding off his weakening soul. In the seventh round, Mares was looking like a fighter trying to just go the distance and was all over the place with Flores in hot pursuit.

The next couple rounds was more of the same with Mares only landing the occasional counter but Flores pressing the action and willing to eat a Mares counter to land his own shots. The final round saw Flores going for broke and Mares just trying to make it to the final bell. Although Mares had his moments early on, Flores seemed like he did enough to win the fight as it went to the scorecards. Judges saw it 96-94 Mares and 95-95 even on the other two scorecards for a majority draw. Mares appeared disappointed in the draw but really was a shell of his former likely hall of fame self and should consider hanging up the gloves to concentrate on the broadcast booth.


"Obviously it had been over four years, so I was a little off with my timing and a little sluggish. But I felt good and I thought I was landing the more powerful shots.

"He wasn't hurting me so I was taking my time and boxing him. I didn't want to really put the pressure on too soon.

"I didn't have any problems in there. I felt good, I was just getting used to the timing again. After four years away I did enough to beat a young kid and an active fighter. My performance speaks for itself. The crowd was happy and it felt good to be home. I definitely felt like I won but it is what it is, the judges saw a draw."


"It was a good fight and obviously I thought that I pulled it off. I know we're in his hometown and he's a veteran so it is what it is.

"He was trying to pot shot me, but I was catching most of it. He got me with a couple good shots early on but I felt like I was in control after the fourth round.

"It was a great atmosphere. It's hard to not let the crowd get you carried away. I know they were cheering for me too by the end.

"This leaves me in a great position. We got a draw against a three-division world champion so it leaves a good taste in your mouth."

Opening the pay per view telecast, Dominican lightweight Edwin De Los Santos (15-1, 14 KO’s) made a statement by stopping lightweight prospect José “El Rayo” Valenzuela (12-1, 8 KO’s) of Seattle, Washington by way of Los Mochis, Sinaloa Mexico in a wild one. Off to a fast start, Valenzuela and De Los Santos exchanged, later in the round the Dominican fighter caught Valenzuela with a straight and stopped his momentum. What a wild round it was in the second, as Rayo dropped De Los Santos to begin the the second round but shortly after De Los Santos returned the favor as he sent Valenzuela to the canvas. De Los Santos dropped Valenzeula a second time to begin the third as he was up fighting but De Los Santos finished him off at 1:08 of the third.

Undefeated super welterweight Joey Spencer (16-0, 10KO) was the unanimous decision winner to hand a first time defeat to Kevin Salgado (14-1-1) in a 10 round super welterweight bout between rising prospects. Salgado, from Mexico City, did anything but fight Mexican Style and the style of the two fighters made for an underwhelming fight that brought out a chorus of boos to close the fight. Spencer, making his ten round debut, was slightly more aggressive than Salgado but not enough to make it a fan friendly fight. Neither fighter seemed willing to take too many chances and were content to leave it in the hands of the judges. In a closely sometimes contested contest, Spencer rightfully prevailed, if for no other reason, being more aggressive. Scores did not reflect the closeness of the fight as judges had it 99-91 (twice) and 100-90, all in favor of Spencer.

Super bantamweight Ra’eese Aleem (20-0, 12 KO's) won a dominating but hard fought unanimous decision over Mike Plania (26-2, 13 KO's) of the Philippines in headlining the FS1 card. Aleem dropped Plana early in round two as the fight was off to a fast pace. Despite being knockdown, Plania pressured as Aleem boxed.

Pass the halfway point and stalking in the sixth, Plania continued to go forward as Aleem slickness was getting to the Filipino. Keeping his composure Plania kept up the pace in the seventh, Aleem made it a chess match fighting smart in the ring timing and finding the openings. Late in the fight, the Filipino kept pressing with Aleem showing composure fighting off the jab and following upstairs solid. The tenth and final round saw Aleem pick up the pace and pressure, letting his hands go as he stood in the pocket with Plania. Finishing strong, Aleem attacked as he did not want to leave it in the hands of the judges backing Plania to the ropes in closing.

After ten rounds, all three judges scored the bout 100-89 as Aleem pitches a shutout.

Anthony Garnica (10-0-1) was sharp in outboxing a very determined Juan Lopez (17-11, 7KO) to win a majority decision in a six round super bantamweight bout. It is the third victory in the last 3.5 months for Garnica who appeared deserving of a wide unanimous decision victory. Scores for the bout were 59-55 (twice) and 57-57 in favor of Garnica

In the opening bout from the Crypto Arena in downtown Los Angeles, former heavyweight champion Charles Martin (29-3-1, 26 KO’s) of St. Louis stopped Devin Vargas (22-8, 9 KO’s) of Toledo, Ohio. Things were rough from the start as Vargas slipped in the second round and Martin also slipped in the third. Vargas was down again from an accidental headbutt. Martin stepped up the pressure in round four as Vargas was a bloody mess, referee Jerry Cantu stepped in to stop the fight at 1:59 of the fourth.

Follow Miguel on Twitter @MigMaravilla


© 2020 Southern California is created & owned by Miguel Maravilla LLC ALL Rights Reserved. The information or content on this site cannot be used unless consented. 

bottom of page